Now that the last of the tomato plants that weren't killed last Monday are looking completely dead from the past two nights of major frost, it is time to move on to see what else I can kill. I did learn some valuable lessons from these late frosts, don't get me wrong. First, that I should always subtract 5 degrees from any AccuWeather overnight low forecast for my zip code, to get the *actual* overnight low air temperature for my backyard (or maybe I should just follow their Ann Arbor forcast). Secondly, using upside-down plastic flower pots as a frost protection does NOT work in the least, but using old plastic sheeting that new mattresses are packaged in propped up by old lilac branches and held in place by any available weighted object, I was surprised to find actually does keep eggplant seedlings from freezing solid on a May 17 Michigan frost. Thirdly, that I am now more determined than ever to find a way to rip out those stupid bushes along the south wall of the house and use that sheltered yet sunny area for tomatoes and tender veggies next year.
I have a healthy flat and a half of various cucumbers, squashes and melons nicely sprouted in their peat pots, ready for transplanting. I want to do it this week, but looking at the 15 day forecast, about every 4th day there are forcasted overnight temperatures in the low 4o's. What to do...I think I'll put down clear plastic to warm the soil for a few days, hold my breath, and then plant them out. Looking at the roots growing through the pots, I'd think that they are more ready for planting out than I am. Just a few more days, guys!

No comments:
Post a Comment