It got up to 82 degrees today! and only 4 days ago things were freezing outside. That's Michigan for ya. Today after the older 4 kids left for school, my youngest and I got busy in the garden. We planted seven kinds of beans: Dragon's tongue, purple queen, golden wax (all bush varieties), and purple podded pole, roma pole, kentucky wonder pole, and a special one called Soisson pole beans, which came from a Canadian seed trader. Soissons are a dry bean that is hard to come by (I only obtained seven seeds) and are supposed to have exceptional flavor and and are exclusive to a particular region of France. Can't wait to see how these do. My little helper kept dumping whole buckets of water onto the newly sown seeds, washing them out of their carefully laid out pattern and driving me a little cuckoo. I also planted some silver queen and burgundy okra. In the cool of the evening, I replanted some of the tomato plants. I still had some green zebras, one brandywine (yay!), one hilbilly, two fantom du laos, a kelloggs breakfast with regular leaves and a kelloggs breakfast with potato leaves, both from the same seed pack (c/o wintersown.org), so we'll see what kind of crosses we ended up with. It got dark before I could plant out the rest but since tomorrow is supposed to be clear and in the 80's, I probably won't get to them until the cool of the evening. Oh- and I also put down clear plastic on some of the beds, to heat them up in preparation for corn and cucurbits. Gardening is fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment