The aptly named "Paint Jar":
Black and Blue (Negro y Azul):
I did heat up some Skagit Valley and some Negro y Azul in the microwave for about 60 seconds, for a taste test. Skagit was fairly dry, and fully cooked, but just moist enough, with a strong and distinctive baked-potato aroma from even such a tiny marble-sized tuber. It was very tasty. It reportedly has some solanum phureja in its pedigree.
The Negro y Azul was more watery and had a decidedly grassy taste. Maybe it just wasnt fully cooked, or maybe it was exposed to the sun and was "green" (but with such dark pigment, there's really no way to know). Hope that the more mature tubers later this season have better results.
The rest of the samples will be lightly steamed tonight for dinner.

7 comments:
The purple-blue spuds are striking!
I am so boring, all I grew this year were Yukon Golds.
Nice selection.
Rosey
I know! Half the fun of gardening is getting to grow stuff that you just can't find in the stores. I can't wait to make a red, white and blue potato salad. this is my first time ever growing spuds, but from what people have told me, it's pretty hard to screw it up.
Those are beautiful! And yes, it's hard to resist sampling them early, I just had young, home-grown potatoes yesterday for the first time and they were soooooo good
Wow, so how in the world did I manage to miss two such wonderful posts on one of my favorite subjects...potatoes.
Those flowers are so neat, I was looking at mine the other day thinking about how much they remind me of The wild flower "shooting star".
You have a great selection of potatoes, We also grew a huge variety of them because it is becoming harder for us to find an affordable supplier for them. We decided it would be best to just grow our own seed potatoes instead.
Anyway, I am most impressed with the variable cornucopia of potatoes you have grown...good job. Your spuds are way ahad of ours. I just harvested some baby Dakota pearls and had them with fresh peas...so good.
I wish I had the energy to do such potato analysis! Your careful comparisons impress me. :)
Thanks for the compliments Michelle and Peter.
Mr. H, I saw your blog post on potatoes awhile back, and I was so impressed, so many varieties, I must admit I keep going back to it for reference.
Mostlypurple,
Thanks for showing the potatoes! I am going to have many more new ones to select from this year. Since I provided the tubers for you to plant this year, I am proud to be a papa of sorts for those impressive potatoes.
It took me two hours to just pick potato berries of hybrids and OP's from 25 varieties today.
In the last two weeks I picked enough potato berries from over 400 varieties to extract a million seed. Each is a potential new variety
Google TaterMater blog and you'll see new varieties being posted in pictures.
Tom Wagner
Post a Comment