Good news! I found seed balls forming on 2 of my potato varieties: Skagit Beets and Nordic October. I'm going to save them and plant the "true potato seed" or "TPS" next spring, so I can discover the next great and most unique potato cultivar.
...the bad news is, I think most of my plants have that Late Blight disease that everyone's been talking about :

***
Good news! Even though it is barely 3' tall, some of my sweet corn, the Luther Hill variety, is going to tassel in a few days and I can see the shoots forming as well, (circled in red), where the silks will form, to recieve pollen falling from the tassel at the top of the plant.
See the new little leaf sneaking out of the craw formed by the main leaf? That is actually the start of the female flower. A close-up of the circled area:
...the bad news is that although my 2' tall (!) Baby Blue Jade sweet corn is currently tasseling and actively shedding pollen, it shows no sign of any shoots or silks.
Good news! Even though it is barely 3' tall, some of my sweet corn, the Luther Hill variety, is going to tassel in a few days and I can see the shoots forming as well, (circled in red), where the silks will form, to recieve pollen falling from the tassel at the top of the plant.
See the new little leaf sneaking out of the craw formed by the main leaf? That is actually the start of the female flower. A close-up of the circled area:Good news! The Georgian Chestnut (moschata) and the Upper Ground Sweet Potato squash (also a moschata) that I planted on a whim on the sod heap at the back of the yard are going absolutely nuts, with vines completely obscuring the pile and tons of baby squash forming under dark green leaves which measure more than 12" across:
...the bad news is that the same varieties planted in the garden "proper" on the same day, in carefully prepared raised beds with purchased topsoil/compost blend and trained on a trellis, are kind of well, disappointing, underwhelming and a sorry joke in comparison:
I would guess that the compost was of the extremely low nitrogen variety, which rest assured will be diligently corrected in the Fall.
***
***
Good news! I was delighted to stumble upon a rare, pure white (albino?) Borage blossom the other day in my prolific Borage patch:
...the bad news is for all the blue Borage plants around it, that are going to get mowed down so I can isolate this mutant and try to save some pure seed of this rare strain for next year.
***
Good news! My lettuce continues to look awesome despite the heat!
...the bad news is its the middle of July and not one of my cauliflower plants show any sign of ever forming a head.
Good news! My lettuce continues to look awesome despite the heat!
***
Good news! It is the middle of July and the cauliflower has not bolted.
***
Good news! The Danubiana eggplant, which I had completely written off to frost months ago, has actually flowered and is now (gasp!) forming fruit!

the bad news is...well, finally, there is no more bad news!

4 comments:
Wow. Still! I don' t think I've ever kept any kind of plant alive longer than a week. Impressive!
I am also going to try saving some potato seed again this year. I did this in 2007 and the seed grew and then the plants failed, I'm not sure why.
My Blue Jade corn is also less than impressive so far but the other corn looks fairly good. Is your Jade corn from Baker Creek seeds?
I have never had any luck with purchased compost, I only use my own these days. I have heard that squash loves to grow in compost heaps but have never tried it. Yours obviously does.
Great post!
Thanks for visiting Gori!
Mr. H- I didn't see any in this year's Baker Creek catalog, so I got mine from cherrygal.com. Don't really recommend her though. lots of stuff I bought from her didn't germinate, and she sells very small packets.
Johnny's carries white borage!
I was over in Spain in 2000 and saw white borage there and got excited and brought back some seeds, then lost some of them, I was all excited about the idea of introducing white borage to the US, and then Johnny's started carrying white borage a year or two later...
Post a Comment