Sunday, October 25, 2009

Garlic, Shallots and Potato Onions



A sure sign that winter is on its way--allium planting time in the garden. Garlic and and shallots are planted in the fall, just like tulips and daffodils. So, after digging some bagged manure, high nitrogen fertilizer and peat into one of the old tomato beds, I laid out my new allium bed.

I got some French grey shallots from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange-never seen them at my local vegetable market, but I understand they are the ultimate gourmet shallot. I'm also trying something new I read about and found intriguing called "potato onions", which is a type of multiplier onion. They look like regular onion sets that you plant in the spring, except that when these grow the bulbs are supposed to divide, alot like garlic and shallots. Come next August, I could get 5-8 fair sized onions from a single bulb planted now, so they say. They're supposed to be very winter hardy, and excellent for storage. Word is, if you get your bed growing properly, and set aside a few bulbs at harvest for replanting, you shouldn't have to buy onions ever again. Sustainable agriculture. cool.

I am also going to start some garlic "bulbils" I got on the cheap from tomatobob.com. Bulbils are the topsets from hardneck garlic varieties that have "bolted"; not a clove from the actual bulb, so these will take 2 years to make a full-size head of garlic. The names sounded interesting: Shvelski, Music, Ontario Purple Trillium and Persian Star. And while I was at it, I threw in a few dozen cloves from the white supermarket garlic I always have on hand in the fridge. We shall see if there really is a taste difference between garlic varieties.



(8" apart-hope I didn't plant them too close together!)

4 comments:

Mr. H. said...

What a great variety of alliums. It will be really interesting for you to see the differences betwen the garlics, I know that our few varieties have somewhat different flavors. I think 8" apart is a perfect spacing for garlic.

Chloe m said...

Uh oh. I think I spaced my garlic too close. I did six inches. I bet some pest or something will help me out with the spacing.
Good luck with yours!
Rosey

Safiyyah said...

Can you also plant garlic in the spring? This article (from Ohio) says to plant it in the spring. I live in PA.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1627.html

Farmer Bob - rifarmerbob@gmail.com said...

Six inch spacing for garlic is fine, Rosey. No worries. Safiyyah, yes, you can plant garlic in the spring, but since garlic usually has a 6-8 month lag before you can harvest, you might run into frost in the following fall depending on your zone.