Thursday, June 18, 2009

Random garden pics

Above is the Maize Morado, about 2 and a half feet tall now. In front are some Baby Blue Jade, and beyond is some Stowell's Evergreen and Luther Hill, all about 4 to 6 inches tall. Next year I think I will start all my corn as I did the Morado: in cells 4 weeks before plant-out.



So this is what has been turning my Roma pole beans into swiss cheese. They seem to love the romas, as my other bean varieties dont have nearly as much beetle damage.




Silver Queen Okra still in the two-leaf stage. Looking rather unhappy. Wonder what is the problem. Maybe all the rain and cloudy days around 70 degrees?




First blossom on the Lebanese Bush Marrow.



Cherokee Purple tomato blossom with a very exerted stigma.



A Green Giant bloom that appears to have exploded...?






A Hillbilly tomato bloom. It is surprisingly tiny, and seems to be a compound or fused blossom. These tiny and/or mutant blooms seem to be appearing on those frost damaged plants, whose primary growth was killed and are now re-growing. I'll be following these more closely.




And the first Borage blossom. I grew these specifically because I read that the blossoms are edible and you can put them in salads or freeze them in ice cubes. Blue flowers in my salad. How cool is that.











2 comments:

Chloe m said...

I loved growing corn when we lived in Nebraska, it grew so fast you could hear it sweakiing at night, :). i have attempted corn once, I need to try it again. The season is short here! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and hope your weekend is great!
Rosey

mostlypurple said...

Rosey, for a recommendation on a good short season corn, you might consult the folks at my favorite forum- Homegrown Goodness. I've seen them recommend "Bear Island" flour corn and of course Alan Kapuler's "Painted Hills" sweet corn for short season growers. They're a great bunch over there, and very knowledgable.