Occasionally there is a ripe red one in with the greens, as last time. So, I cut it open and emptied it of many little seeds. I put those seeds in a baggie with a damp paper towel, and left it in a warm place for about a week. Almost 100% germination. Cool.
And look what happened. Where am I going to put them all? Maybe I'll take a lesson from Ottowa Gardener, and keep them permanently in containers, so I can bring them in every winter, like a tropical house plant. Now I must go shop for some functional and attractive pots.
I did the same thing last November with pepper seeds picked out of a jar of pickling spice. Only got 3 viable plants though, and have no idea what type they are, but aren't they just adorable?
Okay, Okay, yes, that is a flat of garlic (loose cloves recently discovered in the bottom of the fridge), and you can also see the 2 sprigs of mint I rooted that now threaten to take over the dining room. As God is my witness, I shall never pay for condiments again!

3 comments:
Funny. The very last blog I was at was also experimenting with grocery store got starters. This is one of my favourite experiments. They look great! I didn't think you could get pickled pepper seeds to sprout but now I know you can.
Thanks Ottawa. I should clarify. Actually, the seeds themselves were not pickled. I had a jar of dry "pickling spice"-you know, a mixture of dill, mustard, coriander, etc. which was from the bargain $1 bin. I picked out some clearly pepper-looking seeds from that mix, and they grew.
I had to laugh out loud at this post. This is just the sort of thing I do all the time. I just tested some old okra seed in wet paper towels and when all 12 of them sprouted, I felt so grateful, I planted all the sprouts in individual pots. Now what am I going to do with them when they're ready to be put in the garden 6 weeks before outdoor temps are ready for them?? aack!
Post a Comment